21 August 2007

Fish in a Sack

I'm always looking for simple ways to do fish. I saw this recipe on 30-minute meals and Rachel made it look like a snap. Now let me say that I didnt' really go by the recipe... the take home message I got from good ole' Rach was that you could cook fish in parchment paper and it supposedly comes out delish. Fresh green beans sounded pretty good to me too. I saw another recipe that was similar in a book I got where they used lemons as a "rack" for cod. I thought thought sounded pretty good... but this was a deviation... scary... so I called my aunt to find out if I could do it. she reassured me, so here's what i ended up doing...

I used cod and placed the cod filets on the "rack"of lemon slices and then put the fresh green beans alongside the fish. added seasoning, did the "sack" thing with the parchment paper and threw em in the oven. Couldn' t tell you the temp or the time, but I did pull them out twice to check on them...

The consistency wasn't what I thought "done" cod should look like... i guess I expected it to flake up the way salmon does when it's overcooked-just the way I like it. it didn't, hence more time in the oven. So they ended up being in there too long and were a little tough. meanwhile, my dumb green beans weren't done, which kinda sucked. the cod that wasn't overdone (in the middle) carried a fairly delightful flavor.

Maybe I don't like cod... maybe I should give it a second chance. I'm not in any particular hurry and I've recently found other uses for parchment paper (yay!)
I'll repost if I decide to give it another shot... maybe next time I'll stick to Rachel's recipe

Oh and by the way, wrapping the little suckers up in parchment paper is not nearly as easy the first couple times you try it as she makes it look... not fair! :-)


http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_31257,00.html?rsrc=search

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

bothered waterspring varied playgrounds constrain permanent portfolio overviews expenditure correlations ebebadfont
lolikneri havaqatsu