20 August 2007

Encrusting = good, salsa = not so much

I love salmon. I really really really love it. Sometimes I think I could eat it every day if my budget would allow. Aside from doing practically nothing to it but throwing it on the grill or in the oven (tasty enough), I know like one or two ways to prepare it. A while back, this was my first "branching out". Can I just say that I have tried a few fruity salsas... mint papaya, mango, something or other, etc and none of them have tickled my fancy. If you've got one that really is good, please feel free to recommend, but as of now, I won't be reporting many. For one, they take for-freaking-ever cutting and dicing and chopping 85 different ingredients and I am not a big fan... kinda sucks the fun right out of it.

Herb encrusting - This was a cool adventure, but left much room for improvement. Encrusted sounds yummy, no? It seems I love the texture of encrusted-ness, but getting there takes some skill. This particular "encrustment" involved grinding up coriander and fennel and stuff like that, and also involved heating these up to "release their flavor"... That's something I guess I gotta get used to... extra steps and such. And for my taste, I need a more salty type encrusting, not just crazy herbs. Gets a littls spicy and I'm a spice wimp, I'll admit (getting better here though too). Then again, I don't really know how much salt is too much and messes up the meat, so again, I found myself not straying too far from the recipe. I wish I could remember where it came from, but I think it was one from Shape Magazine. If I find it, I'll update this post.

Great tip by the way... good spice grinders are way expensive... my aunt recommended a litle electric coffee grinder and it worked GREAT! :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it